Águas de Paraty
Águas de Paraty started supplying water and providing wastewater treatment services in the urban area of ??the city of Paraty (RJ) on April 14, 2014. The concession is a public-private partnership (PPP) that is run with the company’s own funds, as well as public funds from the local government, from the State Fund for Environmental Conservation and Urban Development (FECAM) and from Eletronuclear.
The city has the Pedra Branca Water Treatment Plant (WTP), which treats 5 million liters per day and supplies treated water to 70% of the population. The city’s second WTP, the Corisquinho plant, is under construction and, once it is completed, 96% of the population — in the company’s operation area — will have treated water in decent amounts and quality.
In addition to the reservoir located in the Caborê suburb, the company will build two other reservoirs of 1 million liters each in the suburbs Pedra Branca and Corisquinho.
So far, 6,750 meters of water pipes have been laid, getting rid of the ongoing water shortage problem in the city in the high season. Besides, 1,055 standardizations and house connections have been completed.
Águas de Paraty has built 14,400 meters of wastewater collection pipelines and completed 1,600 wastewater connections. The city’s first Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) is under design stage. The goal is to universalize wastewater treatment in the coming years.
It is worth mentioning that all construction in the Historic Town will be conducted according to the policies of the Brazilian National Institute of Historic and Artistic Heritage (IPHAN).
- Concession date: 14/04/2014
- City: Paraty (Rio de Janeiro)
- Population served: 37,533 people (as per Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics — IBGE)
- Water treatment plants: 1
- Number of water connections: 6,831
- Number of units with water connection: 9,120
- Wastewater treatment plants: N/A
- Number of sewer connections: TO BE IMPLEMENTED.
- Number of units with sewage connection: TO BE IMPLEMENTED.
The utility Águas de Paraty started operations in the city in April 2014.
In the same month, the company kicked off water chlorination works in the Pedra Branca and Caboclo catchment facilities, reducing the levels of hospital admissions due to gastroenteritis.
The customers registration campaign began in June of this year.
The Corisquinho system came into operation in January 2015 to ensure regular water supply to the locals.
In March, Águas de Paraty built a water main to interconnect the Pedra Branca system to the Jabaquara suburb. This ensures smooth water supply even during the months with the highest flow of tourists in town.
On May 15, the city’s first Water Treatment Plant (WTP) came into operation. Located in the Pedra Branca suburb, the unit has a production capacity of 60 liters per second, which means five million liters per day, and supplies 70% of the urban area of ??the city.
The Corisquinho Water Treatment Plant — the city’s second water treatment plant — started being built in June. The unit will ensure that the company’s entire area of operations receive treated water.
In December, a project to build the city’s first Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) started being planned. The plant will treat 134 liters of wastewater per second.
The Corisquinho WTP came into operation. It can treat 60 liters of water per second. This plant, combined with the Pedra Branca WTP system, ensures water supply to 96% of the population.
The company kicked off construction works to expand the treated water pipeline system.
With the Water Meter Standardization Program, the company conducted more than 3,000 standardizations.
Águas de Paraty opens its new office at 297 Lorival Valentim dos Santos Street, in the Colonial suburb. To improve customer relationship, the company implemented a 24-hour service on number 0800 023 1541, and transferred the customer service center to the company’s main office.
The company’s car fleet was renewed, speeding up service execution.
In the same year, Águas de Paraty continued the pipeline expansion works. The whole town has more than 30,000 meters of pipelines laid, making the water supply system even more efficient.
The company also continued the Water Meter Standardization Program, conducting more than 2,000 standardizations. This ensures accurate measurement and fair billing of the volume of water consumed. Currently, 68% of billed water connections are based on standard water meters.
Águas de Paraty has two Water Treatment Plants: Pedra Branca WTP and Corisquinho WTP. Together, they treat 10 million liters per day and supply treated water to 96% of the population, in the company’s operation area.
Learn a little more about the WTPs below:
Pedra Branca WTP
- Located in: Estrada Pedra Branca S/Nº – Pedra Branca – Paraty – RJ
- Treatment Capacity: 60 l/s
- Population served: 25,000 inhabitants
- Suburbs served: Pedra Branca, Canto Azul, Ponte Branca, Pantanal, Vila Princesa Isabel, Parque Verde, Condado, Portal de Paraty, Vila Colonial, Parque Ypê, Parque da Mata, Portão de Ferro, Portão de Ferro II, Portão de Ferro III, Mangueira, Chácara da Saudade, Chácara, Caborê, Portal das Artes, Parque Imperial, Patitiba, Centro Histórico, Pontal, Jabaquara
- Type of treatment: Full Cycle Water Treatment Station with Flocculation, Settling, Filtration, Fluoridation, Disinfection and pH Correction.
- Water catchment: Pedra Branca Dam
- Located in: Estrada do Corisco S/Nº – Corisquinho – Paraty – RJ
- Treatment Capacity: 60 l/s
- Population served:
- Suburbs served: Portal de Paraty, Vila Colonial, Parque Ypê, Parque da Mata, Portão de Ferro, Portão de Ferro II, Portão de Ferro III, Mangueira, Chácara da Saudade, Chácara, Caborê, Portal das Artes, Parque Imperial, Patitiba, Centro Histórico, Pontal, Jabaquara.
- Treatment Type: Full Cycle Water Treatment Station with Flocculation, Settling, Filtration, Fluoridation, Disinfection and pH Correction.
- Water catchment: Corisco Antigo